Designing Feedback Problems with Fourth Graders
Empathize:
During the EMPATHIZING stage I started by trying to do something to big. My initial thought was to try and make my lessons engaging for both virtual users and face to face users. After discussing this topic/idea with my professor we determined that if was to big and could really show how it was being effective when I had no control or that there were to many variables in the virtual side of my lessons (were there parents supporting, were the students following the sequence, are they in an environment that is conducive to good learning…).
We looked at more ideas and came up with an issue that my colleagues and I were noticing. We had noticed a lack of positive impact on feedback that we gave to our students. My professor and I thought that we could use this as my Problem of Practice. I first needed to understand why my students weren’t able to use the feedback that we gave. After thinking on it and discussing with my team, we thought that they must not know what to do with the feedback because they either didn’t get it before or weren’t taught what to do with it once they received it.
I needed to determine what their understanding of feedback was and then move forward with teaching them more about how to use it. I had to find out what level of understanding they had. So with the help of my teaching team we came up with some initial questions we thought might give us more insight.

Comments
Post a Comment