Ideate

 Ideate:

Thinking abroad and then narrowing.  My problem was that my students didn’t know what feedback was used for.  Working this out through a “Why Ladder” I was able to see that students until now had been told what to do and how to do it. 


My Problem is: 

Students don't understand what feedback is and how to use it appropriately to better their work.

Why?

Because the majority of their experience with feedback is giving it in games or apps that they play/use.

Why?

Because at fourth grade they have been told exactly what to do to check off a box or criteria of “meeting” a skill/standard.

Why?

I believe this is done so they can be taught the basic skills that are necessary for learning until they can be given feedback and use that to form better results on their own.

Why?

 Because by having the basics or foundations they can then learn more complex skills and individualize them.

Why?

Because this is age appropriate learning and the progression is to then allow them to become more independent and learn to take feedback and grow individually.  SO they now need to learn what feedback is and how to use it appropriately (my root cause)


💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡


Their feedback was given and then they were told what to do next.  Now that they were in middle school and being asked to be independent they were missing the step of getting feedback and then applying it on their own. 

This process not only helped me to narrow down my intentions but also helped me to understand where the disconnect was.  I would now be able to relate to the student in better ways when teaching them.  I could use specific examples and help them to make connections from their past experiences to what we wanted them to do with feedback now.  

            I think, for me personally, the ideation stage was the most important for my design process.  This is where I had my “ah ha” moment.  It is where I was able to do a fuller or deeper empathizing and defining.  Our professors and others had said that the design process was not meant to be linear and that there could be some times when you would go to different phases.  For me this was one time that happened and I then realized how important it is to be able to jump around like that.  By ideating I now was going to really relate my goals to the learning that needed to happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prototyping

Define the Problem

Testing